The appearance of a perfectly installed Oak Floor is designed to give the impression of high maintenance and hard work. But really, with a little care and attention to detail, looking after our Solid or Engineered Oak Flooring is as effortless as it is rewarding.
The key to a beautiful, long lasting and hardwearing oak floor is a stable environment. Extremes of temperature and humidity cause wood to shrink and leave unwanted spaces between boards, while excessive humidity warps wood creating a ‘waved’ appearance. To keep your oak floor in ‘just laid’ condition, follow these few simple rules.
- Keep room humidity constant at between 35% and 65%.
- Floor temperature should not exceed 27 degrees C.
- Keep underfloor heating switched on all-year-round.
- Do not place rugs on oak floors with underfloor heating.
- Avoid walking on oak floors with stiletto heels, golf spikes and cleats. And keep pets’ claws clipped to prevent surface scratching.
- Place felt floor pads under furniture for damage-free moving.
- Regularly re-position furniture and rugs to even the natural softening effect of UV light on oak floors.
- Never place potted plants directly onto oak floors.
- When moving heavy furniture or appliances protect oak floors with a sheet of hard board and always use a dolly – never slide or roll heavy objects over oak floors.
- An oil finish on oak floors should be left after application to ‘cure’ for 10–14 days before using any cleaning or care products.
- Sweep, vacuum and dust oak floors regularly. Microfibre mops are ideal for wood floors.
- Always wipe up accidental spills immediately using a soft, slightly damp cloth.
- We recommend Osmo cleaning products – the Osmo Spray Mop is ideal for everyday cleaning, or for a thorough clean use Osmo Wash & Care. Available from our showroom, or to order call 01764 684836 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Repairing and refreshing
- Light scratches and marks on oiled floors can be easily removed with gentle sanding and careful re-application of our recommended oil finish.
At Strathearn Stone & Timber we only use products we know and trust. For further advice please call 01764 684836 or email email@example.com.
Back to Blog